Tuesday, February 04, 2014

When will Parents Learn?

            While kidnapping and armed robbery seem to have reduced in Edo State, Nigeria, suspected child defilers are on the increase in the state. As a matter of fact, out of 60 suspected criminals paraded recently by the state police commissioner, 16 were suspected child defilers. There was the case of a 33-year-old man, Justice Olise, who claimed because he was rejected by his female lovers, he resorted to sexually assaulting small boys. At the last count, on January 1, 2014 when nemesis caught up with Olise, he had allegedly sexually assaulted no less than five boys aged between 11 and 14.
            The self- confessed child defiler told Sunday Vanguard that the young men usually come into his room to visit him before he sexually abused them. Revealing how he started sleeping with the boys, Olise narrated: “I started this kind of life when my girlfriend broke my heart. After that, I entered into another relationship with a girl. I suffered the same heart break.  Because of that, I decided to stay on my own.  So I started masturbating since I no longer had a girl friend. I was doing that before the children came and I started sleeping with them in my house. One of them is 11, one is 12 and the other one is 14. They are the children of my neighbours. I used them each time they come to greet me. I usually apply cream on their lap before sleeping with them. But on the 1st of January, the community people gathered in my house and started beating me. They took me to Eyaen Police Station before they transferred me to the State CID. I am a Christian but I don’t know what came over me, I have been doing it with the children for a year and a half now”.
            According to the Police Commissioner in Edo State, “one Roland Osagie, 28 years old, who lives in Upper Mission Extension, was reported to have had unlawful carnal knowledge of an 11 year-old girl. The grandmother, who discovered that the girl had pain in her private part while bathing her, reported the case to the police.
            Also, Ibrahim Akpobore, a 19-year-old boy, forcefully had canal knowledge of an 11-year-old girl at her mother’s farm in Igueleba, where she was sent by her mother to go with him and show him where cassava tubers are to be uprooted. When they got to the farm, he abandoned the job he was supposed do and had canal knowledge of the little girl. Peter Omoregbe, a 42 year-old man, had canal knowledge of his nine year-old step daughter.
            The girl’s mother discovered blood stains on her daughter’s clothes while washing them and it was when she threatened her that she confessed that her step father had been sleeping with her and that he warned her not to tell anybody. In Irrua, Sunny David had unlawful sex with a 3-year-old girl. Her mother discovered that blood was coming out of her vagina when the girl woke up and could not ease herself. She eventually told the mother about the suspect and he was arrested. One Benjamin Amadin, a 60-year-old man, also defiled a 9-year-old girl here in Benin City, Edo State.
            It is shocking that the number of those committing these atrocities keep increasing each passing day. These rapists and pedophiles are mostly the people we know.  I keep asking myself - When will parents learn?   WHEN?
            When are we going to learn that no one else can be trusted with our children?  As much as we hope for the best and pray for these children any time they are out on their own, parents also have to implement extra measures to protect their children. Many factors have to be considered before sending your children on an errand, boot camps or vacations. When you send your children on holiday to their Uncle or Aunt’s home for a few weeks, how well do you know the neighbours in that area? How about the kids your child will be exposed to and have to play with? How positive will such errand or vacation impact on your child’s life? It’s not enough to Pray and Hope. I appeal to parents to become more vigilant because these perpetrators are all around us in the form of FRIENDS, NEIGHBOURS AND ESPECIALLY FAMILY MEMBERS.



Edna Wey

No comments:

Post a Comment