Friday, January 24, 2014

WHERE WE DEY GO FOR THIS COUNTRY....?

I just love Thursdays…
            I had a good evening with my Association members at our meeting today. When it was time for A.O.B I decided to speak about the Vision of EVE’s WORLD Int. on the floor of the house. I sold an idea to my fellow members that as part of our project for the New Year, we should include a programme to Educate Teenagers on Sex Education. Having heard my speech (with live examples attached to complement my vision), I was glad it didn’t take long to get them all to understand my views. But I realized there were three different schools of thought. One class felt the Project was a good one, laudable and should be supported to any level. Another class felt it may be too much for us to handle and we should probably live the project for N.G.Os or international organizations.
            The last school of thought, which was the most intriguing, felt we have to be cautious. Cautious because of the cultural and religious beliefs in our society. This group felt that going round high schools to preach sexual education to children may not go down well with some Parents .This class of persons also believe that some parents may go to the extent of withdrawing their children from the school if they find out. They gave some valuable reasons to buttress their point which were correct. It’s unfortunate but also 100% true, even after many parents neglect their responsibility to do the teaching.
We have two major problems in my home country in terms of sex education;
1.      Religion
2.      Culture (Tradition)
The white men who introduced religion to Africa are currently scared of us because we have become extremists.  Our so called Culture and Traditions has made us myopic and narrow minded. My country people, WHERE ARE WE GOING?

In terms of development, are we moving forward or dancing in circles?

Edna Wey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment